Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fabric Dying Experiment


I wanted to experiment with dying some white cloth using tea. I had done it before with paper to give it an aged look and I wanted to try it with fabric. It turned out ok but it didn't get as dark as I would have liked but it still was pretty cool. I put the tea in this old pickle jar along with the fabric and left it over night.
The next day I saw my dad making some coffee and got the idea to try coffee to maybe get it to become darker. I left that over night.

And then I had my finished project. It turned out a light tan. I'm still pretty pleased with it. I think that with more experimentation I could come up with a darker color or perhaps other colors. I like the idea of dying your own fabric using natural materials.

2 comments:

  1. I think the fabric turned out really nice. Of course I am the one who told you about tea dying years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put 1/4 teaspoon in the water and tea bags steeping and the tea was almost black. I had read where that makes great tea to put that 1/4 teaspoon and I thought I'd give it a try. Tea was good but dark as night. That may help you out.

    ReplyDelete